2.24.2008

Training, Week Two: The Hills of Mount Lookout

My dad recently bought this house in Mount Lookout, and he's working on fixing it up and then renting it out (he thinks it'll be ready by April, if anyone is looking for a place around then). So we met there on Tuesday and ran around the neighborhood. I had mapped out a three-mile run using this nifty website that tells you the distance and elevation of your route.

The thing about running in Mount Lookout? It's hilly. Quite hilly. The little elevation chart tells me we climbed close to 300 feet in our first half-mile, which took us to the end of Golden Avenue. Isn't that the height of the Eiffel Tower in King's Island?

So we huffed and puffed to the dead end at the top of the street. As we turned around to take in a pretty amazing view of the river and the city in the distance, I said to my dad, "I'm going to finish this half marathon, you know, but -"

"I know you are!" he interjected.

"- but it's not going to be quick," I finished.

"That's OK," he said. "What matters is that you're doing it."

"I know," I said. And we started back down the hill.

2 comments:

AE said...

Good for you! I quit running after I moved to Mount Lookout; the hills were too intimidating.

Gina said...

Dude, you got to be careful out there. Golden Avenue, though offering stunning views, will rip your legs right off.

ShareThis