12.10.2008

Holiday blog project: It's a Wonderful Life

The holiday season is upon us in earnest, and so I've decided to do a little project to get the ol' blog muscles pumping again. I'm going to do a series of posts recapping It's a Wonderful Life.

This is a movie that gets unfairly categorized as "saccharine drivel" (ahem, Dan) because the only part of it anyone remembers is the happy ending, which is meaningless if you don't recall the heartbreaking story that got us there.

It's a story about a man who gave up everything he always wanted to do because he couldn't let other people down, couldn't let Goliath beat David, and so he watched his peers vault past him and get the adventures and experience that were rightfully his. He tried to be happy with his lot, and for a time he was. And then one day, Goliath cheated to win.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I'll probably do five or six posts on the movie, so watch this space.

EDIT. Here's my series:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10

3 comments:

Mike_R said...

awesome (stop) I love that movie (stop) so many great moments (stop) Hee Haw and Merry Christmas - Sam Wainright

AE said...

I think this is the most depressing movie ever made. I can't believe you endorse a movie in which being a librarian is portrayed as a fate worse than death. Viva Pottersville! Another round of hard drinks for people who want to get drunk fast!

Dan said...

Too funny!!!!

ShareThis