7.05.2005

Greetings from Indiana! (aka "the valley of the shadow of death")

Along the highway leading to my grandmother's neighborhood is a small cemetery. There is no fence, no wall, no gate; just a gravel driveway, a few dozen headstones and the traffic whipping by at 40 mph. Next door to the cemetery is a house with an above-ground pool. There is no fence around this property, either, so the gravel driveway is all that separates the yard from the cemetery. I wonder what it would be like to swim ten feet from someone's final resting place. I also wonder what it would be like to come to pay your respects to a loved one and have your reverie broken by a splash fight, or perhaps a game of Marco Polo.

Also.

My grandmother told us that when she dies, she wants to will her gold teeth and fillings to her grandchildren, so we can make a necklace out of gold teeth. I can't tell if she's joking.

More on my weekend later, perhaps, including:
- My 15-year-old cousin's newfound love of Jesus (in the form of a 27-year-old fundamentalist Christian/male model), including her baptism at a water park
- How we Rollerbladed through the chapel where my parents were married 26 years ago
- Is my mom crazy? Quite possibly, but we wuv her anyway.

No comments:

ShareThis