2.21.2009

Training, week two: The Runner's Bag in Winter

Well, the crazy 60-degree days are pretty much over now, and the weather is approaching normal February temps - highs in the 30s, lows in the 20s.

This also means that I'm back to my usual grab bag of running clothes.

If the temperature is in the 40s, I might need just a turtleneck and a light jacket, plus maybe a hat. If it's in the 20s or 30s, I'll probably have to use my heavier jacket and add gloves. If it's raining, I'll want to double up on shirts and use my water-resistant jacket. And if it's cold enough or the sidewalks are likely to be perilous, I might call off my outdoor run altogether and just do a few miles on the treadmill, which means a T-shirt and shorter pants.

So here's what's in my backpack, besides my heart monitor, shoes and sports bra (which are constants in any run):
- Three pairs running tights (one below-the-knee for indoor runs; one ankle-length with fleecy lining for super-cold days; one ankle-length unlined)
- One turtleneck
- One T-shirt
- Two pairs socks (one lower-cut pair to wear with shorter pants; one pair that comes a bit higher so there's no exposed skin between pant and sock)
- Hat and gloves

And in my car, I keep all three of my running jackets (light, heavy, water-resistant).

Carting all that around is a workout in itself. Come on, spring!

No comments:

ShareThis