10.20.2007

Competitive

I play flag football on Saturdays and soccer on Sundays this season.

I'm competitive. Kind of - I don't really care whether the team wins or loses, but I am competitive against myself. If I don't live up to my expectations for myself, I get very upset.

In football, my expectation is that if the ball is thrown to me, and if I am open, I will catch the ball. It seems like a very simple thing, and yet I can't do it in a game. I missed three passes today, and even though I caught three, that wasn't good enough for me.

I told Eileen I felt like Ron Weasley. She said I was being more like Eeyore.

(Soccer is actually easier because my expectations are lower for myself. If I can clear the ball a couple times a game, I feel like I've met my goal - and if by some miracle I manage to take the ball away from someone on the other team, I feel like David Beckham.)

I guess the thing to do is just to keep practicing - eventually, catching the ball will become routine.

1 comment:

AE said...

Comparing yourself to Ron Weasley in pretty much any context is a very Eeyore thing to do.

ShareThis