10.24.2008

Universal healthcare is pro-capitalist

Via BoingBoing, 10 ways to court nerd voters (or at least one nerd voter). Most of them are issues you might expect - more boadband access, revamped copyright law - but #2 surprised me:

Universal Healthcare. Everyone I know that freelances or works a day job and wishes they could quit and follow their dreams of launching a company complains about the lack of healthcare. Whenever I used to talk about freelancing at tech conferences, the first question was always about healthcare coverage. I've heard that in places like Berlin where you don't have to worry about where your healthcare is coming from or how much it costs, up to 35% of working age adults are freelancers. It may sound crazy and anti-capitalist to consider healthcare for all, but if we flipped a switch tomorrow and everyone had health coverage I swear a million small businesses would launch overnight. I know lots of people that keep a job just to get healthcare that are wasting their creative talents because they had a cancer scare or were born with a defect or otherwise are deemed uninsurable on their own.

I never thought of it this way before!

2 comments:

5chw4r7z said...

Germany has a hybrid system and the health insurance companies are all non-profit. I think, I maybe a little fuzzy here, you pay your own insurance and it follows you. The government gets involved only if you can't cover the premium.
That would solve half our problems right there.

WestEnder said...

I'm not on-board with the universal idea yet, but I have to admit... I never thought about the start-up effect before. Interesting point, and a valid one, I think.

ShareThis