12.16.2007

Vacation Food Experiment: Sautéed Chicken Livers

That whole chicken I used to prepare Beer Can Chicken had some giblets in it that had to be removed. (The label on the chicken was actually apologetic about there not being more internal organs for me to fish out and discard: "Some giblets may be missing.")

So I went online to see if there was anything I could do with them. The gizzard was thoroughly unappealing to begin with, and the heart required some heavy-duty braising ... but the livers seemed fairly easy to cook, requiring only a sauté in "wine, stock or other aromatic liquid."

So I chopped up an onion and threw it in a pan with some olive oil. When the onion was translucent, I added some Chardonnay (all I had on hand; red wine would have been better) and let it reduce for a bit. Then I added the livers and put some salt and pepper on them.

The results were pretty much what you'd expect of chicken liver. It wasn't terrible, but I wound up throwing it out after a few bites anyway - partly because of an inexplicable bias against liver that wasn't really being challenged by the taste, partly because I had chicken roasting in the oven and didn't want to spoil my appetite by eating something so-so.

Rating: "meh" face. I'd eat chicken livers again, but I probably wouldn't make them.

1 comment:

AE said...

You should fry the livers next time you have a bunch. I don't eat them but am told they are good.

Alternatively, you could make gravy -- chop them up, simmer them in some liquid and then strain them out. Then you'd have gravy.

ShareThis