7.29.2006

In which I suck the Internet from the very walls!



After a few weeks of radio silence, I finally have consistent home access to the mother of all time-sucks.

I went with Current, that company that somehow squeezes Internet access from the electric lines. I have no idea how they do it, but they do, and so far the service has been, um, serviceable. Every now and then I have to wait a while for a page to load, but I'm learning to think of those short interruptions at built-in break times, perfect for refilling my coffee cup or plucking my eyebrows.

The ease of setup is impressive. The photo above shows the contents of my installation kit (including a handsome mouse pad). The modem is the transformer-sized black thing on the left. I plugged it into the wall, connected the Ethernet cable to it and the computer, and signed in to the Current website. That was it!

I wonder if I'll miss reading books ...

UPDATE. I think I figured out the reason for the occasional stutters in service: I was plugging in to a faulty socket. With some rearranging of plugs, the issue seems to be resolved.

1 comment:

AE said...

Welcome back!

Art Boy is having some trouble with our internet connection. I will see if he's looked into Current... Who needs books anyway?

ShareThis